- May 9, 2018
- Posted by: Paul Foster
- Categories: Business mentality, Grow a Business, Time management
If you’re like me and a lot of my clients, you get stuck in a holding pattern. Just thinking of the tasks that you don’t really want to do feels overwhelming and can lead to procrastination.
You know, however, that by completing these tasks your business would benefit greatly.
- Clear your workspace – a nice clean workspace is a productive workspace.
- Before you leave at night, make your to-do list for the next work day. Write down all things you need to accomplish. (This list could be a little overwhelming.)
- Review the list and prioritize the jobs. Which two are the most important to the future of your business? For my client, it was important to complete the invoices for the previous day’s work.
- Leave the list in the now clean workspace and do nothing else; just go home and enjoy yourself.
- Start your work day a little earlier than normal. When you arrive to work, go immediately to your clean workspace and start on your most important job. Don’t check your email, or read the paper. Commit to finishing the top priority on your list.
- You need to work without distraction, so ask for it if team members are present.
If the process works correctly, you will have completed your task before your usual start time and you will be energized by your early accomplishment.
One final tip about the tasks themselves; sometimes you get stuck because you can’t complete the job 100% – as you may be trying for perfection. Consider getting the task done 90 – 95% perfect, but completed.
Good luck! Let me know how it goes.